Go Back   CNPA Forums > Image Sharing and Critique > Mostly Nature
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 PM

Default Re: Calm Before the Storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayhkr View Post
Bob,

My thoughts on the framing of the shot were as such. The reflection of the storm clouds and then the masts of the shrimp boats form a > that leads my eye from left to right and from near to far in the image, thus giving it a bit of depth. I do agree on the placement of the waterline not being ideal but don't know if I could have framed it differently and still gotten the effect I feel I got. I did crop some from the right to get to this but perhaps a bit more is called for. Thanks for your take on how it came across for you.
What I appreciate most about your reply, Chris, is that it clearly demonstrates that you are thinking about your photographs... not just pointing, clicking and hoping for good results. You obviously think about how you want to compose your images while you're on site. In today's digital age I'm afraid many "spray and pray," hoping for a bit of luck or settling for composing in post.

You effectively accomplished using the vee, the ">" to guide the eye into the depths of the image. I fear, however, the eye then drifts right out of the frame as there's nothing back there to hold its interest or to direct the eye back into the photo. There's not a right and wrong here, simply different perceptions. I like to think it's useful to discover how ones images make others think and/or feel.

Keep up the good work, thinking and composing. You know I'm a fan.

Last edited by ncbobd : 02-03-2013 at 11:58 PM.