CNPA - Home
Membership | Regions | Galleries | Calendar | Events | Magazine

Go Back   CNPA Forums > Special Interest Group Forums > Kayak and Canoe Photography Special Interest Group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-07-2010, 04:14 PM
Smile Carolina Kayak Industry Changes of note

Here in the Carolina's we have several quality kayak manufacturers and the 2011 season is shaping up as an active one for them all.
First off there have been some top management changes at a few companies that you may want to take note of.
Steve Jordan who was a Market Representative for Native Watercraft which is located in Greensboro has taken over as President of Hurricane Kayaks which is located in Warsaw NC near Wilmington.
Brad Taylor who was the President of Hurricane Kayaks has moved to Wildnerness Systems located in Easley SC as a Vice President.
So what does this mean relative to new boat designs that you may be interested in? Here is what I know.
Native Watercraft headed by Andy Zimmerman is introducing camoflauge paint schemes for their kayaks this year. I have had one of there Ultimate Tegris kayaks for two years and find it perfect for photography.
Hurricane Kayaks has introduced three new models which you will find well suited for photography as well. The Santee 126 with a 38" x 21" cockpit weighing in at 41 lbs and a true swede form design offering great stability. The Santee 135 at the same weight and cockpit size but designed at 13'5" as a short length coastal water sea kayak and capable of overnight tripping and fianlly the open fFsherman. No question that this kayak is directly modeled after Native Watercraft's very successful Ultimate kayak line. Weight is 55lbs and has an open cockpit through out it's 12' length.
I have not had a chance yet to talk to Brad Taylor in his new position at Wilderness Systems but I am really pleased to see that they have come out with a lightweight version of their very succesful Pungo Kayak. At 41 lbs now and with a vastly improved seal for their rear storage hatch this is also a great boat for you to consider if you are in the market for a new Christmas present.
Merry Christmas to all
Russ Gavitt