CNPA - Home
Membership | Regions | Galleries | Calendar | Events | Magazine

Go Back   CNPA Forums > Special Interest Group Forums > Kayak and Canoe Photography Special Interest Group
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-14-2011, 10:51 AM

Default Re: Rachel Carson Estuary Preserve

I sent out the following information to folks signed-up for the April 1, 2 kayak outings. In case anyone missed it, or if someone else is on the fence about joining us, here is a posting of logistical information for Saturday at Rachel Carson Estuarine Reserve. There are still a couple of spots open if anyone wants to come. If you'd like to be part of the trip send me a private message or email.

I thought I'd give you some information concerning the logistics. We're planning on meeting at Lennoxville Boat Ramp in Beaufort. If you have a GPS the address for the adjacent marina and dry-stack facility is 2400 Lennoxville Rd., Beaufort, NC. I believe many of your are staying at the Beaufort Inn. From the inn you'll turn left to come out to Highway 70. Make a right on Hwy. 70 (east). After a few blocks the highway makes a right turn at a stop light, continue on the highway. The next stop light is Lennoxville Road (Gaskills Hardware on corner), turn right a keep going until you reach the boat ramp entrance. (They were doing some construction at the ramp but it should be finished in time for our outing. I will verifiy it's open a few days ahead of our meeting and email an alternate launch point if required.)

To take advantage of the tide and to avoid having to back-track the way we started we need to be hitting the water at 7:00 AM. You should be at the ramp around 6:30 or so to give you time to set-up your gear and for a short briefing before we launch. If I'm not mistaken Jared Lloyd will be joining us for this portion of the outing and I plan on joining him for the Merchants Mill Pond portion the day before.

If anyone is new to kayak photography and doesn't have a dry bag for stowing their camera gear I have a couple extras. Let me know if need to borrow one. They'll be available on a first come, first serve basis. Be sure you're outfitted with the required safety gear. The US Coast Guard base is not too far from where we're paddling plus it's a popular fishing area and it's not unusual to see Marine Patrol out checking on things. I wouldn't want anyone to get ticketed. I believe (correct me if I miss something) you need a Personal Floatation Device (PFD), a noise signalling device (whistle, etc.) and something to pump/bail water from insdie the boat to meet USCG requirements. Cell phone service works throughout the reserve. I always have my phone in a small dry bag in case of emergency.